By: Devon Kroesche, intern & future dietitian
Pumpkin spice season is upon us, folks. Buckle up and get ready for pumpkin EVERYTHING. Are we mad about it? Not. One. Bit.
Health Benefits of Pumpkin
- Pumpkin is a great source of beta-carotene, which the body converts to vitamin A. Vitamin A is involved with immune function, vision, reproduction, and cellular communication.
- Pumpkin is a great source of fiber, which improves digestion and keeps you feeling satisfied for hours.
- Pumpkin, like most other fruits and vegetables, is high in water. This provides you with extra fluid that is aborbed more slowly, keeping you hydrated throughout the day.
As if you needed another excuse to eat pumpkin everything, what better way to start your morning than with a taste of fall that is healthy and satisfying? Whip this up the night before and it will be ready to eat in the morning. Whether you need something quick to grab before you run out the door, or just want to make mornings at home a little more relaxed, you will be so glad you made this.
Whay You’ll Need
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/2 scoop Daily Whey vanilla protein
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup canned pumpkin
- sprinkle pumpkin pie spice
- 1 Tbsp dried cranberries (optional)
What to Do
- Combine oats, protein, almond milk, pumpkin, and pumpkin pie spice in a bowl or jar. Let sit overnight, or at least a few hours.
- Sprinkle cranberries or other desired toppings and enjoy!
That’s it! Super easy, minimal clean up, and you get a few minutes back in your morning. Use them wisely (read: hit that snooze alarm).
Meet our Blogger-in-Chief
Devon is a 2nd year graduate student at the University of Pittsburgh, studying to be a registered dietitian. She enjoys surfing, farmer’s markets, and will definitely ask if she can pet your dog. She runs Case Specific’s social media, blog, newsletter, and marketing.
Be sure to follow @casespecificnutrition on Instagram and Facebook for more fun nutrition & wellness content!